Legality And Legitimacy: an Exploration of IGaming in Asia
The online gambling industry (iGaming) is currently thriving. In terms of revenue, we could easily compare its success to that of the land-based casino industry, with many experts believing that iGaming will surpass its predecessor in the future.
Online gambling is a global phenomenon. However, for the most part, it is European countries that have embraced the market. In other parts of the world, iGaming is either restricted or outright banned. As is the example in Asia. That is why, in this article, we’d like to explore the legality and legitimacy of online casinos throughout Asia.
What Is a Legit Online Casino?
The first question we need to answer is the simplest; what is a legit online casino? In order for a gambling website to be seen as legit, it has to fulfill certain conditions. Let us take a look at what these conditions are:
- License: it has to be licensed, no questions asked. Gambling commissions around the world do their best to make sure that an online casino is fair, balanced, has good odds, and is safe and secure. To show that they’ve tested it, they issue a license. To put it simply: no license, no business.
- Security & Safety Terms: if an online casino doesn’t have a page dedicated to their safety and security terms, then it is best left avoided. After all, safety should be everybody’s top priority when browsing the web.
- Fair Odds: the games’ odds should be fair. What we mean by that is that they should be good, but not too good to be true. They also shouldn’t be too skewed against the player. It is hard determining which odds are just right. For the most part, if you think that they are too good to be true, they probably are.
There are some online casinos that fulfill all of these categories, and many consider them to be one of the best. The best way to determine whether a casino is for you is by reading reviews by reputable sources. For example, there is a great review of Dailyspins Casino, which goes into detail about the website’s functions, and tells you everything you need to know.
Online Casino Legality in Asia
Now that we’ve discussed legitimacy, it is time to go over legality. Asia is the biggest continent, with multiple countries that have laws that drastically differ from each other. Which makes it hard to say whether online gambling is legal or not “in Asia.” For the most part, we can separate online gambling’s legal status in three categories.
- Legal: countries where online gambling is legal are those where the law explicitly states that both tourists and residents are free to access local or offshore casinos, and play their favorite games online. You’ll be able to find legal online casinos in Kazakhstan, Japan, The Philippines, some parts of India, etc.
- Illegal: the inverse of legal, illegal means that the countries have outright banned any and all forms of online gambling. From slots to online blackjack, and even sports betting online may have been affected. Countries that have issued bans in all forms include most Middle Eastern countries, China, Pakistan, and most parts of India.
- Grey: if a country has issued no laws regarding online gambling, we can say that the law regarding the industry exists in a legal grey area. It could mean that online casino operators are not allowed to work within the country’s borders. But, residents can still access offshore sites, and play their favorite games.
Most Popular Gambling Games
iGaming wouldn’t be as successful as it is if it weren’t for the gambling games that we all enjoy. That is why, in this section, we’d like to delve into a few of the most popular gambling games that made the industry what it is today.
- Slots: Worldwide, slots are the most popular game. Just as true in Europe as it is in Asia. In countries where online casinos are legal, we’ll notice that slots are, by far, the most popular game to play at these websites. For good reason too, as they are fun, engaging, and very simple to understand.
- Baccarat: Most westerners love blackjack. However, in Asia, baccarat is the card game that drives them wild. Macau’s casinos are full to the brim with people playing the card game. Online casinos are just as successful when it comes to baccarat. Live gambling has also propelled the game further in popularity, even in the west.
- Sic Bo: The Chinese game, Sic Bo may not be very popular around the world. However, in Asia it enjoys massive success. It is, by far, one of the most popular Asian casino games, and even online casinos reflect that fact.
- Honorable Mention: Though we are talking about gambling, we would be remiss if we did not bring up sports betting as well. In terms of revenue, betting on sports like golf, cricket, and of course, football (soccer), is by far the most popular way to gamble, not just in Asia, but also the world as a whole.
The Future of Online Gambling in Asia
Technology is advancing at a rapid pace. Online casinos and sportsbooks are becoming safer, more secure, and overall better with each passing year. Not only that, but most people are recognizing the potential in the industry. All of this to say; according to the experts, online casinos might just become a mainstream staple in the future.
However, while we expect that most countries in Asia will legalize the practice, there is still some that we don’t see doing so in the near future. For example, anti-gambling laws are so heavily entrenched in Middle Eastern countries’ cultures, that we can’t say that they will change their laws any time soon. However, even that might change in the next decade or two.
We are already seeing a potential for change in India, South Korea, and even China are becoming more open to the idea. In the future, we might see Asia having the biggest online gambling industry in the world.